When was the last time you cleaned and organized the clutter not in your closet…but your head? This is a question I posed on myself the other day as I was having a bit of a moment of anxiety thinking about what if I didn’t move, take that job, start this blog. How would my life be…better, worse, same, and blah blah blah.
Anyone else think about this kind of crap wide awake at 3 am?! Then these thoughts leave me feeling tired and cranky the next day due to the hamster wheel turning in my brain. So I wanted to share with you guys how I have started to try and turn these worries and thoughts into positive actions with just a few tips:
- Write it down. It does not have to be in a pretty word doc or stylish notepad. Find a pen and anything to write on. I mean hell I have done this on a bar napkin once! Instead of jotting down what is wrong, jot down what is right. Such as a steady income, your health, or love of friends and family.
- Read inspirational stories. This helps me to get out of my own head. I will literally Google or Youtube inspirational stories and just see what comes up! Most of the time it will bring a smile to your face! My latest favorite is REI Presents: The Mirnavator
- Motivational Podcasts. When I feel like I am in a creative slump instead of sitting on Instagram comparing myself to others I throw on my tennis shoes, plug in the headphones, and go for a walk/run and listen to a podcast. Now my go-to is, GirlBoss Radio, but it can be spiritual or just simple story telling. This is great for both your physical and mental health!
- Call a friend. Now at times I need to beware of this one because I almost unload too much of my stress on my loved ones, which in turn can stress them out! On the flip side just calling a friend to just chat about funny memories or the future can help.
- Just breathe. Count to 10. Pretty self explanatory.
As you all know everyone is different and these tips are just what have worked for me personally and I hope it can help you too! What do you do to get centered? Share them with me!